Monday, March 7, 2011

Note to Self


    Griffey and I just went out to lunch at Mezzaluna Pizza. He loves it because he is obsessed with the moon and he points to all the pictures of moons and shrieks, "MOON!" the whole time.
    While we were eating, I couldn't help get sucked into the conversation next to me. The two ladies next to us met up for lunch and were catching up on what had been going on in their lives because they hadn't seen each other in a while. I noticed that when asked what was new with each of them, they both dove into long detailed summaries of what each of their kids was doing and didn't say much about their own activities at all.
    It seemed very odd to me that they had nothing to say about themselves, but were raving about Ryan's trip to Spain and England and how he just got a scholarship and blah blah blah and Chris' new girlfriend who is kind of hippy-ish but very smart and blah blah blah….
    Basically, while I love Griffey very, very much and could easily dive into extensive detail about every cute thing that Griiffey does, I hope I don't get to a point where I have nothing to say about what is new with me besides what is new with Griffey. I have seen many moms who give up who they are for their kids, but I think it would be more beneficial for my kids if I show them the importance of hobbies, talents, and knowing who you are.
   I hope in ten or twenty years I can look back and think about what I am thinking now and stop bragging about my kids and find a life myself. Besides, when our kids grow up, Adam and I will just look at each other and think "Now what?" if we don't keep working on ourselves and remember who we are other than parents.

3 comments:

  1. I love Mezzaluna Pizza! I think we all have to keep up with ourselves- that's why we have girls' nights and go on dates with our husbands. Hobbies are great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. Couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will never be like that Kels, you`re always doing fun projects and trips!

    ReplyDelete