Sunday, October 18, 2009

Adam's Leave

We were so happy to get to have Adam come home for two weeks. He got in on September 29 in the evening and left October 15 in the early morning. I have to admit that I was nervous about seeing him because I didn't know what it would be like. I was a little worried that I wouldn't know how to act or what to say at first and I was nervous that he would be different. I have just heard so many stories about people coming home and being way different.


I, of course, had nothing to worry about. Adam is Adam and he will always be my husband and the man I married. It was very strange seeing him at first though, because I haven't seen him in real life for six months. I am so used to seeing him through the computer that it was kind of hard to comprehend seeing him up close and right next to me.

The airport was pretty empty when Adam's plane landed, so of course everyone that was there saw us reunite and saw Adam pick up Griffey for the first time. Adam was embarrassed, so we got out of there pretty quick. Griffey was in a fussy mood when Adam arrived, so when Adam picked him up for the first time, Griffey started crying! I thought it was pretty funny.

From the airport, we went straight to the Hilton in Eugene. I booked us two nights there because I am staying at my dad's and we wanted to feel like we had our own place for a little while. The unfortunate thing is that Adam came home the day my classes started, so I was busy balancing school and homework with Adam. Of course, Adam always comes first and I was able to get my homework done while Adam was sleeping or hanging out with friends.


Here is Adam holding Griffey on the morning after he arrived. Griffey did not act like Adam was a stranger. You could tell he knew his dad. I am grateful for Skype because Adam and Griffey get to see eachother and Adam will stay very familiar to Griffey.
When I came back to the hotel from my class, Adam and Griffey were sleeping exactly the same. Even though my class was only an hour long, Adam was nervous about watching Griffey. Luckily, Griffey slept the whole time, so it was easy on Adam. It took Adam a few days to get adjusted to this time zone. At first, he wanted to go to bed at 8 or 9 and I wanted to stay up and hang out with him. That only lasted a few days though.
I completely understand why Adam was nervous about watching Griffey at first. I am sure he felt like he had to come home and know how to be Griffey's dad right away, but no one expected that of him. I explained to him that it had taken me 6 weeks of being around him all the time to understand him as much as I did, and Griffey was still a mystery to me at times. I think Adam did amazingly well and by the end of the two weeks, he was very confident in watching Griffey even during my three hour classes and while I slept. I am grateful that Griffey was so open to bonding with Adam. You can tell he loves his dad.



Our family reunited!
On the first Saturday after Adam got here, we went to a Duck game. I waited in line an hour before the ticket office opened to make sure I got Adam a spousal ticket to go along with my student ticket. The game was in the evening, but we went earlier in the day to tailgate with some friends. We bought matching sweatshirts for the game. I thought it was cute and it was Adam's idea!
Aaron, Carl, Desi, Chris, Adam and I all sat in the student section together. The guy behind me is picking his nose.

I had a lot of fun and I didn't even get bored! It was pretty cold though, but I got hot chocolate and then I was fine. We were lucky that we didn't get rained on because it had been raining off and on all day. After the game, we went to Applebees. It was delicious. Here is a picture of the new Duck plane.

The next day, we went to the coast and spent the night in Yachats. Mark offered to let us stay in his cabin for free and we definitely took him up on it. The weather was wonderful. We never make it to the coast when it isn't rainy and windy, so it was awesome to have it sunny the whole time. The flowers in front of the cabin were beautiful!

Griffey and I getting ready to go on a walk with Adam before it got dark.

The beautiful sunset.
We found a really neat hollow log, so we had to take a picture with it!
Our family. We went on a walk along the ocean for about 45 minutes before it got too dark. It was the perfect weather and the perfect way to spend an evening with my family. I remember thinking that I couldn't get any happier than I was right then holding my husband's hand with my son cuddled up close.

Back at the cabin, Adam and Griffey cuddled up together. I love how you can see Adam's love for Griffey in these pictures.




Griffey looked so cute all bundled up tight.

We stopped on the side of the road to look at the sea lions. There were tons of them and they were so loud!

After we got home from the coast, we hung out in town a lot- shopping, going out to eat and movies, going on walks, and visiting family. I was also going to school monday-friday, but I took Friday afternoon off from class and we headed up to Portland with Adam's brother, Carl. We stayed in a hotel in Hillsboro and hung out with Carl, Adam's sister, April, and her husband, Aaron. We just relaxed and watched the Duck game and went to the temple. It was very nice to get to the temple while Adam was home.
Although the two weeks went by pretty quickly, I am very thankful that Adam was able to come home and that we were able to do so much and have so much fun. I really felt like no time had passed and nothing had changed from when Adam was here before. The only differences were that we didn't have a house and we now have a kid-little changes...haha.
It is tough having Adam here by my side and then all of a sudden ripped away again, but it will get a little easier and I know that we are half way done. It also helps to think that the next time I see Adam, he will be home for good.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that he got to come home and spend that time with you and Griffy. You guys look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun-filled visit! So glad you were all able to spend so much time together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics!
    Griffey definitely know who his Daddy is! It is very evident the way he relaxed in your arms Adam, and the way you have his undivided attention on skype. You figured him out very quickly, you are a natural as a Dad. Since you went back to Iraq, he has been a little out of sorts, we work harder for a smile, he simply misses his Dad. You two have a very strong bond that will only get stronger as he waits for you to come home for good. Thank goodness for skype.
    Over the hump and six months to go. There will definitely be a blow out party to celebrate!!!!!
    It was so good to see you Adam. I did not realize the pit I had in my stomach until it evaporated when you were with your family where you belong. That pit is back and I look forward to it evaporating for good in April.
    Nice blog entry, Kelsey. I am so very proud of you and the strength and integrity you have shown in the face of adversity. You are a strong woman, a wonderful Mother, Wife and I am honored to call you Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you guys had so much fun! I am so glad he was able to come home.

    ReplyDelete