Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I finally have all of our stuff at our new apartment! It feels so nice to finally have everything in one spot and only be paying for the apartment and not the storage unit also and now I can finally focus on unpacking and decorating. Even though I don't want to spend a ton of money on decorating our apartment, I am going to try hard to make it our home and not just an ugly, plain apartment like our last one. Our Gateway Village apartment was so dark and ugly because of the brown carpet and wood panel walls and now that we have a bright, clean apartment, I want to add a lot of color and warmth and happiness. I love Adam because when I told him all the ideas I had for our apartment, he just said "Get what you need. I don't care." He's funny. That's such a boy thing to say. Brittany is a wonderful decorator and I am excited for her to help me because she has a million ideas. The only bad part is that she told me gently, to get rid of my bedspread, which I love and isn't very old.


 

She hates it because it's old ladyish (spell check tried to change this to ladyfish. Haha). I have a problem because I like some old lady decorations and I buy them and then I look at them later and think "What the heck is this? What was I thinking?" because I go a little over board. Anyway, Brittany is too late and I am not giving up my bedspread, so she is going to have to work around it!


 

It has been fun unpacking all of Adam's and my things and reminiscing about all the memories that go along with them. I was so excited last week because I found something that I haven't been able to find since before we began dating- our pinewood derby car. Before we were even dating, when I was still just thinking to myself how cute and funny he was and how I wanted to date him, we hung out with a few other people from the Institute (the church branch for the college age kids) and we made pinewood derby cars for our pinewood derby. Adam and I made one together in the likeness of his Mitsubishi Eclipse. The car is so funny because we needed to weigh down the back, so we carved a hole in it and put Iraqi coins in it and duct taped it shut. Adam still makes fun of me also, because he told me to lightly sand down the wheels so they would go faster, so I started sanding and kept sanding until he came back to check and apparently I did a bad job. The wheels were sanded way too much and had flat parts on them. When he saw that, he knew we weren't going to win. Haha.


 

Anyway, it was fun to find that little car and also a journal that Adam and I write in together. We started writing in it in 2006, describing how we met, things we have done together, and our feelings for one another. It was fun to look back in that journal and read how in love we were then. It reminds me of a song I like by Brad Paisley. I think it is called "Then." Yes, it's country. In the song, he reflects on memories and he says " And I thought I loved you then..but now you're my whole life, you're my whole world…we've come so far since that day, and I thought I loved you then…" It just reminds me of how I feel about Adam because I look back and think that I loved him so much when we were dating and then more when we were engaged and more when we were married and I love him more than I did when he left for Iraq and I didn't know I could love someone as much as I did back then and now that love has multiplied even more. It's just so crazy to think about. I don't think I could love him more than I do right now, but I know that when we are old and sitting around the table with our grandkids and kids, I will think "and I thought I loved you then…" Love is a crazy thing. Haha


 

Spring term started this week. I am taking a couple education classes, physics, and flag football. I am looking forward to flag football, but scared also because I am one of four girls in the class with 35 guys. I am definitely intimidated right now, but I think I can hold my own!

Oh, and I ran 11 miles yesterday!

3 comments:

  1. I love when you move somewhere new and it finally feels like home. It will be so nice once you and Adam are back in the same country. I am so excited for you. By the way.... I love your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should post a picture of your bedspread! I would love to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danielle! Okay Kim, I will get a picture!

    ReplyDelete