Monday, August 10, 2009

Ups and Downs This Week

So this is what I had posted on Monday:

Adam called me this morning with wonderful news! He is coming home tomorrow! All the letters and publicity paid off and Adam's commander had to let Adam come home. He will be here for two weeks and will be able to see his first child be born. I will never forget this experience and I am excited to tell Griffey the story of how we rallied to get his daddy home for his birth. Griffey will definitely have an interesting baby book now!

Thank you everyone for your support and love and prayers and actions taken to get Adam home. We are so very grateful to everyone that helped us get to this point.

Adam will be home Wednesday sometime and my due date is Thursday, so Griffey better sit tight and be patient!

I feel so empowered and excited and grateful and loved because of all this. I know that you really can do anything if you have faith and courage and of course, support and love from family and friends.



And by Tuesday morning all that exciting news had evaporated.

Adam isn't going to come home because his commander is being stubborn and will not sign off on it, even though he is supposed. There is no way for anyone here to enforce what he is supposed to do over there so Adam is not coming home.

Obviously this news was very hard for both of us to take and it has taken a few days for me to get out of my depressed funk. I just can't handle the emotional roller coaster that we have been put on and would have appreciated a solid answer about whether he would be coming home or not from the beginning. I have learned that the military is very unreliable and unpredictable and that it is important to not invest my faith in them. I have learned to hope for the best, but expect that it can fall through if it concerns the military.

It looks like Adam will probably get to take two leaves, one for two weeks and one for 10 days. The 10 day one is a paternity leave and legally has to be given to any soldier whose spouse is having a baby within 45 days of the birth. The good news out of all this is that all the laws and obligations were read over well and it was discovered that Adam is entitled to this leave on top of his two week one. Obviously, I am not going to get my hopes up that the military will follow through and allow him to come home for both of these, but it is exciting if it does work out.

As far as Griffey...I don't think he got the memo yet that he doesn't have to wait for his daddy to come home before he can come out. I appreciate him being a trooper and listening to me tell him to stay put but now we are past my due date and I am ready to have this baby!

I had a doctor's appointment on Thursday (my due date) and she said that it could still be another week and if he doesn't come by Wednesday, the 19th, then I will be induced. I am going to let him come when he comes, but I decided to go on more walks and eat some spicy food to help him get the point!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a wild week! I am proud of you guys and very much looking forward to Griffey's arrival into this world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that things didn't work out. I'm so excited for you that Griffy's arrival is so close though! Enjoy that little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you. Jeff wants to do some research to find out where his commander lives... Hahahaha! Let me know when you are in labor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. POST SOME BABY PICTURES KELSEY!!!!

    ReplyDelete