Monday, April 2, 2012

Button Canvas

I found these two monogram button ideas on Pinterest a while ago, but forgot about them until I found a ton of blue and green buttons at Ross last week. How random is it that Ross had buttons?

These are from the Etsy shop, Letterperfectdesign (http://www.etsy.com/shop/letterperfectdesigns?ref=seller_info)
I painted a canvas from Ben Franklin's gray and sewed the buttons right onto it.

1.I printed out the font I wanted (I used lower case times new roman) on regular paper that was the right size for the canvas.

2. Next, I put graphite paper, or transfer paper, onto the canvas and layed the printed out font on top of it.  To transfer it, I just traced over the letters, which imprinted the graphite onto the canvas, making an outline of each letter.

3.  I sewed larger buttons randomly throughout each letter and then added smaller buttons to fill it in.  I tried to layer the buttons in different way- some are overlapping on one side, some are on top of others, and some are side by side.

I really like the way it turned out and it only took about two hours to sew it altogether.  I painted and let the canvas dry a few days before I sewed the buttons on.

I have a bunch of extra buttons, so I may make one in the shape of a heart or something.  With the colors of buttons I have, I could make a picture of the Earth, but that may be a little hard.

There are so many different ideas for using buttons to make a collage.  The picture ideas are endless!





The following picture is another craft project with buttons that caught my eye.

2 comments: