Saturday, May 9, 2009

Adam Left Today

Well, Adam left today. He got home early on my birthday on May 2 and surprised me with some beautiful lilies. He also bought me a camcorder for my birthday which I am very excited about. He felt bad that it was really a present for both of us, but I think it is just what we need to keep Griffey and Adam connected. I really don't want Adam to miss out on anything that happens with him.

This past week went by very quickly. On Saturday and Sunday, Adam spent a lot of time sleeping and recuperating from his training in Astoria and on Monday we went to his mobilization ceremony and then went to a little random waffle place in downtown Eugene. We spent the first part of the week around my family and at our new home relaxing, which is really just the studio at my dad's house. Then, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we stayed at the Village Green sleeping in and lounging around watching tru tv and a&e (Adam's favorites.) We also spent this time with Adam's family in Cottage Grove.

Yesterday, Friday, was bittersweet. We woke up knowing it was our last full day together for probably a year, but we decided to try and make the most of it and enjoy all the time together we had. We slept in and went out to lunch before coming back into Eugene from Cottage Grove. Then we did a bunch of random errands, got Adam's laundry done and packed up all his gear, and, of course, did a little retail therapy. We both got new shoes, because new shoes make Adam happy! He also bought me some new prego shorts, which was very sweet and all his idea.

Today was really hard. We woke up at 5:15 and I drove to Corvallis while Adam tried to get some sleep. Neither of us slept last night. It was not easy to sleep knowing what was waiting for us when we woke up. Anyway, Adam had to be there at 6:45 to check in, but he didn't actually leave until around 9:30, so I waited with him and we went back and forth between being sad at what was to come in this next year and happy as we reflected on our lives together, Griffey's upcoming arrival, and life after the military.
We agreed that I should leave before Adam got on the bus and drove away. That would have been way too hard for both of us and we were happy at the moment, so we finally said our goodbyes for now and I left before he got on the bus. There were a bunch of firetrucks and motorcyclists who showed up for their departure. I was impressd and appreciative of their support.

It is so hard to understand why we have to go through this, but I know there is a reason and I know that we will one day look back on these days and understand and appreciate how we overcame these trials. We keep reminding ourselves that this is just a tiny speck in the whole span of our lives and from this situation, we will become stronger in the long run. I do know for sure, that Adam and I will be so much stronger in our relationship once we overcome this. I didn't know we could be closer, but I know that we will be that much more welded together in our marriage and family.

As sad as I am right now, and as sad as I was this morning, I am confident that everything will be okay for us. It is just hard. I wish that Adam and I could switch places because as tough as it is for me here, he has it so much harder. I have my family and friends and church and everyday comforts here with me, but Adam doesn't have any of that, plus he is in scary and stressful situations everyday with a bunch of smelly guys and an uncomfortable bed. It breaks my heart that he won't be able to be here with Griffey until he is 9 months old. So, I am going to do my best in staying strong for him and supporting him.

I hope that everyone will feel comfortable emailing him and communicating with him, because he will certainly need it. Once he gets his address, I will put it on the blog next to his email address. Any support that can be given to Adam is greatly appreciated right now.

3 comments:

  1. Adam,
    Your family loves you. You leave today but are never far away in thought or spirit.
    I am proud of you and the integrity you have displayed in the face of this unfair, ridiculous situation.
    Someday I will tell Griffey of this day and how his Father did the hardest thing he ever had to do in his life. His crazy Grandma will tell him of the strenth and courage his Mother and Father showed in the face of great pain and sorrow. How they held their heads high, united in love for each other and the son they could not wait to love. Griffey will be as proud as I.
    Be safe Adam, we look forward to your return to Oregon.
    Love to you always,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey,
    Call me if you want to get out or just talk. I am here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelsey, it's Marissa (Adam's friend Scott's wife). I just found your blog through Lisa's and I'm so sorry to hear about all that's been going on lately. I feel frustrated for you. I can't imagine how you and Adam must feel with all of this. Hopefully the time will pass quickly and you'll be back together before you know it. Congratulations on your little boy. Sounds like Adam is grooming him to be a big baseball fan from the beginning! :) Not that surprising though. If you're ever in town or need anything don't hesitate to let us know. We're happy to help however we can. Take care.

    ReplyDelete